Friday, April 30, 2010

Presenting With Pizzazz: Chapters Four, Five, and Six

Chapter Four: Balance Active and Passive Ways of Learning, and Chapter Six: Active Bodies Equal Active Brains

I'm putting four and six together because they are very similar...and pretty much self explanatory.  It goes along with what FFA teaches about kinesthetic learners, and auditory learners, and...I can't remember the other ones off the top of my head.  :)  I didn't pick out any quotes because it was mostly full of ideas for different kinds of learning activities.

Chapter Five: Walk Your Talk
"Don't preach about something you aren't willing to do yourself or haven't yet practiced....Speak from your own experiences.  Be up front about whether or not you have used what you're talking about.  And above all, have your participants practice the skills you're giving them."
I like this point, because I think it makes sense to only lecture about what you know and what you have experienced.  I particularly loved the example the author used, for obvious personal reasons:  "In my stress management trainings one thing I DON'T do is tell people to exercise regularly because I'm not exercising regularly."

And here are a few tips on facilitation and speaking I thought were really helpful, under the sub-heading "Who You Are Speaks Louder Than What You Say":

"Your energy and your non-verbal communication are more powerful training tools than the content of your presentation.  Be aware and learn to consciously use eye contact, gestures, movement, different voice tones, verbal pacing, facial expressions, and dramatization to keep your audience interested and awake.  Step out of your comfort zone and take some risks with new presentation techniques. You'll feel excited and energized- and so will your audience."

I'm going to videotape my presentations and have people fill out comment cards for feedback, to try to figure out what I can improve.  Of course, as my Strengthfinders book says, I'm not going to focus entirely on what I do wrong, but also on what I like about my presentations.

Happy Friday!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment