Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Workout Woes, Leadership Thoughts

Hey everybody,
As you probably know, in high school, I was a swimmer.  Or a drowner, I guess that might be more accurate for a person on the swim team who can't really swim.  Anyway, I bring this up because swimming is the only workout that I semi-enjoy.  So I bought this cheap Speedo swimming suit the other day and looked up when free lap swim is at the school's pool.  Today I got the suit in the mail and went for the first time.

You know how they say it's as easy as riding a bike?  And once you learn how to ride a bike, you never forget? I don't think swimming is that way.  I am not nearly as good as I once was.  I barely swam 1000m today, but I stayed in the pool for 45 minutes and now I am VERY sore.

I think I might be sabotaging my own exercising efforts...I keep doing different workouts, running, pilates, step aerobics, cycling, weights, just so I don't get bored.  But I don't do anything regularly enough to get good at it!  Ugh.  Okay, I'm done complaining about workouts.

Other than that, I've had a great day today.  Very busy this week, but I got over 2 hours of FFA study in.  I found a lot of great stuff in "Encouraging the Heart."  I don't feel like commenting on them, so I'm just going to copy down the quotes.  Enjoy.
"You cannot lead out of someone else's experience.  You can only lead out of your own."

 "It's not so much what we do as what we are that counts....People learn-and respond to- what we are....All the techniques and all the tools that fill the pages of all the management and leadership books...are not substitutes for who and what you are."

"Finding your voice is absolutely critical to becoming an authentic leader.  If you can't find your own true voice, you end up with a vocabulary that belongs to someone else, mouthing words that were written by some speech writer who's nothing like you at all."

"Don't confuse leadership with position and place.  Don't confuse it with structures and systems, or tools and techniques.  They're not what earn you the respect and commitment of your constituents.  What earns you their respect in the end is whether you are what you say you are, and whether what you are embodies what they want to become."
Have a great day,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment