Thursday, April 1, 2010

Affinity, Child Nutrition

Hey everybody,

No jokes today, I promise.  I thought about it, then I thought it would be more unlike me to not pull a prank.

Today's word is affinity.  It's a noun that means a natural liking or attraction, as in: I have an affinity for performing arts of all kinds.  Reading is something I have a particular affinity for.

In recent ag-related news, the Senate Agricultural Committee passed the "Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010" on March 24.  This act provides 1.2 billion dollars to combat childhood hunger through expanding afterschool meals, categorical eligibility for foster children,  and promoting the availability and locations of summer food service programs.  Another 3.2 billion dollars go to promoting health and reducing childhood obesity by helping schools improve the nutritional qualities of school meals, establishing national nutrition standards for all food sold in schools, promoting nutrition and wellness in child care settings, and connecting students to healthy local produce through farm-to-school programs.  You can read the article here: http://www.agri-pulse.com/20100324H2.asp.

Incidentally, I'm learning a lot of new information from Agri-Pulse.  According to Ty, a former fellow state officer and 2009 National Officer Candidate from Wyoming, that's the newsletter National Officers use to keep up on current ag events.  Another something I learned from questionnaire feedback.  Thanks again everyone who responded!  You are all awesome.

I hope you do something you have an affinity for this weekend,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Affinity. I like that word. I have an affinity all things agricultural. I have a praticular affinity for growing produce.

    ReplyDelete