Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Welcome to the adventure!

In May of 2008, I was elected to the position of the State President of the Alaska FFA. When I got home from Convention, overwhelmed with my new responsibilities, I shared the great news with my friend and mentor Rayne Reynolds. He congratulated me, and then said that if I wanted to, I could start thinking about running for National Office.

Woah. That's not really where my mind was at that moment. But since he suggested it, the idea took hold and has become more and more appealing as the days go by. Finally, after the 2009 National Convention I decided I really did want to do it. So I've been studying and preparing since then.

I know the chances are 1,000,000 to 1. There has never been a National Officer from the state of Alaska. I have much less agricultural knowledge and experience than most everyone I will be competing against.

But, I don't care. I'm going to try because if I never try, I'll never know if I really could do it.

So right now, I'm studying at least an hour a day, learning all about agricultural, America's education system and the FFA, and having a lot of fun experiencing new things. Come along with me on my adventure. I promise you'll learn a little bit more about agriculture, and maybe even be a bit entertained.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment