Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My New Job!

Hey everybody,
I started a new job today!  Well, I guess technically I started yesterday, but I didn't really do any work...just became a master at form-fill-outing and policies and procedures.

But today- I got to go on store visits with Patricia and get a handle on what it is I will actually be doing as an intern for the Division of Ag.  And it was very exciting!  I can tell I will learn a lot that will helpful in seeking National Office, not only about agriculture, but about talking to people and being a representative of ag in Alaska.  Yesterday, I read a packet about the Division of Ag's goals and such, and it was full of spectacular information about Alaska and agriculture that I should know, and it was work!

I'm also learning I need to be more outgoing.  On the way out of town today, Patricia asked me, "Are you always this quiet?"   To which I wanted to respond, "Trust me, I'm not quiet at all- you just don't know me yet!"  So I'm working on being more comfortable carrying on conversations (even when I'm nervous!) and I know this job will help me out with that.


We went to Talkeetna today and did store visits for all the stores on the way in.  Once in Talkeetna we visited Cubby's Market and then stopped in to the new location of Kahiltna Birchworks- where Dulce Ben-East and Michael East welcomed us.  It was so cool to get to talk with them and learn more about syrup making- it is such a process!  They have a really neat Canadian evaporator there, and a machine called a "Reverse Osmosis Machine."  I wish I remembered what exactly it did...I think it takes all the water out of the sap before they boil it.  Anyway, I was impressed with their business.  Birch syrup is delicious, by the way.

Another perk of driving all the way to Talkeetna today was that it was sunny, clear, and beautiful, which meant Patricia and I got a fantastic view of Denali (or Mt. McKinley).  I hadn't ever seen it that clearly, so we drove to the outlook to look for a few minutes along with all the tourists.  That mountain is spectacular.  I'm so grateful to live in surrounded by such beauty.
This is kind of a crappy picture of me in front of Denali from two years ago- after Blast Off training.  
Denali it the tallest mountain, in the upper right.  I wish I had my camera today, because there were NO clouds in front of it.  Oh well.

Well, tomorrow I get to go interview a farmer and write a profile for the Division's Alaska Grown newsletter (Fresher By Far).  I'm so excited to have such a sweet job!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment