Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Awesome Numbers

Hey everybody!
Let's just get to it, shall we?  This week had a lot of cool numbers in it!
I look fantastic in Official Dress. :)

My speech at the South Anchorage Rotary went well on Thursday- at least I feel like it did.  There were about 70 people there, which made me nervous, but I got a standing ovation and a woman tried to offer me her son's hand in marriage...so I'd say those are good indicators of success. :)  But I felt really good about it as well.  I just watched the recording of it yesterday, and I was pleased.  I added some new material but didn't forget any of it, and I included only four U-Ms.  (that's a word I'm not allowed to say anymore.  I owe Rayne ten cents every time I do, so far we're up to $1.20.)  I've enlisted my mom to listen to it and give me harsher criticism as well.  I know I need to work on using the stage better and  on answering questions s-l-o-w-l-y.  But overall I think it went really well.  I got a business card from a woman who is the president of Toast Masters in Anchorage, so I think I'll try to get into Anchorage and check them out one of these days.

And thanks to that speech, and the other studying I've been doing (of course) I did another 50 hours in just three weeks!  That's 250 in all!  And that's half way to my goal of 500!  Hip hip hooray for me!

As for today, I took the day off of work and am having a study marathon.  I just spent a good chunk of time calling people to schedule speaking opportunities.  That is really hard for me, I'm discovering I'm not a very good self-promoter.  Anyone reading this though, seriously- I'm looking for places to give speeches!  And to give workshops especially.  So if you know of any, call me at 907-355-1685 and let me know.  You'd be my hero.

And one last, totally fantastic, really big number: 520,000.  That's the number that the National FFA estimates will be exceeded by the 2009-2010 membership tally (which doesn't officially end until August 31st)...and it's an all-time membership high!  This number  marks an increase of over 10,000 members since the last record, which was set in 1977.  I'm totally thrilled about this, guys, can you tell?  You can read the official press release here, if you're interested.

Have an awesome Wednesday, and I'll be here, still studying. :)
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment