Thursday, May 20, 2010

Changes in leadership and last names

I saw some big news on the FFA website today.  I feel both happy and sad.

First: Dr. Larry Case is retiring in January.
Dr. Case has been the FFA advisor for 26 years- longer than I have been alive.  He is an icon for FFA members, he's the Big Owl!  I've never, ever thought about him retiring.

Dr. Case was my first FFA idol.  I remember traveling to SPC with Taylor in July of 2008.  As we rode our taxi to the hotel at 2 AM, we started wondering if anyone would be awake to welcome us.  Jokingly, I said, "Oh, I'm sure all the National Officers will be waiting in the lobby, and Dr. Case will give us a huge hug."  Then we laughed, and Taylor said, "Unlikely...but that would be awesome!"

We were not greeted by Larry Case in the lobby at 2 AM, but the next day he joined us for the opening session.  I was astonished!  This is a man whose name I memorized my sophomore year for the FFA info test.  This is a man who knows more about agricultural education than most people would learn in two lifetimes.  He is a legend.  I so enjoyed getting to know him, even if it was just a little bit.

The wise old owl himself, and me.  He told me when I showed this picture to anyone to also add the disclaimer that he had been flying all day and he wasn't as young as he used to be and so you have to forgive him for his disheveled appearance.  I think he looks fine.  Much better than I do when I fly (remember?)

State Officers listen earnestly to Dr. Case

Dr. Case's awesome cardboard cut-outs

[I know you're supposed to grow out of being excited to meet prominent FFA members and leaders.  So I try to act like I don't get chills when I see a National Officer's jacket, even though I do.  And I tried to control my excitement when I met Dr. Case.  Unfortunately, I couldn't quite keep my composure when I got to meet the former FFA Executive Secretary, C. Coleman Harris.  When he tried to introduce himself, I just blurted out, "Sir, I know who you are!"  Luckily, that doesn't happen with Dr. Steve Brown.  He just always talks about eating moose stew at my house with my parents. We're tight. :) ]

I'm sad that Dr. Case is leaving us, but I'm sure his replacement will do a fantastic job.  I'm looking forward to finding out who it will be!

Second: Angela Mayfield is one of the keynote speakers at the 2010 National Convention
I did a little research when I saw a picture of this woman, and felt like I recognized her.  Sure enough, Angela Mayfield served as the 2000-2001 National Western Region Vice President- only back then her name was Angela Browning.  Now, Angela Browning is not an FFA celebrity that I have met personally, but I feel like I know her because she taught me how to speak in public.  

At my very first State Officer training event, Blast-Off, in May 2008, our trainer Marlene showed us the video of Angela Browning's retiring address.  I'm not sure if that is the approved speech that all Blast-Off trainers are supposed to show, but that's the one Marlene showed us.  I watched the whole thing in complete awe, inspired and impressed.  When the video was over, Marlene said, "What if I told you that you could give a speech just as good as Angela's?" Then she taught us the "magic formula" and the rest, as they say, is history.

I also got my favorite quote from that speech, "Until you stop comparing, you will never grow."  I even used that quote in my speech at graduation.

I'm looking forward to seeing Angela speak again, this time in person.  You can see her fantastic retiring address on youtube in two parts: here, and here.

Speaking of speaking...I've got some good ideas for the Rotary speech, but I need to start writing them down and organizing them.  Have a great evening!
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Rachel - I loved checking out your blog! What fun adventures. It sounds like you are working hard! I'm humbled that you remembered my RA and so thankful that we were able to connect over it!I can tell you have a passion for FFA! Best wishes to you in all you are doing! Angela (Browning) Mayfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! I'm glad you found my blog and am flattered that you commented- it really made my day. Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps a lot. I can't wait to see you speak in person!

    ReplyDelete