Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Day of My Judgement is Near!

Seriously guys.  Sunday starts a week of judgement.  Me, my life, and my every move will be noticed, jotted down, and given a score from 1-5.  Kind of intimidating.

But here's what I've learned from several long phone conversations with my awesome mother.
(1)  My Heavenly Father wants what's best for me.  I knew that, but Mom reminded me.  And going to the temple reminded me.  And I am trying to remind myself that this confidence, this awesome, elated, sure-I'm-going-to-do-well feeling is my Heavenly Father telling me that what I am doing is good and right.  It doesn't mean I'll be selected as a National Officer.  What it means is that either way, I win.  Which brings me to...

(2)  Whether or not I'm selected as a National Officer, I leave convention a winner.  If I am selected, the winning's pretty obvious. (It involves running on stage, smiling, and explosions of confetti and the like.)  But if I'm not selected, I win a year of uninterrupted, un-postponed, college education.  I win a year I can spend actually being a college student!  I win a spot on a professional improv troupe and the opportunity to perform several more times in the coming year.  I win the chance to be home when nine months from now, Micah comes back home.  I win a year of being able to go to church and partake of the sacrament and go to the temple.  And either way, I win what's best for me.

(3)  My Heavenly Father doesn't much care who is elected to National Office.  But He cares a lot about me!  And He cares about my happiness, and He will work out my life for the best.  I trust Him.

(4)  I'm going to have the time of my life next week, and a true "adventure in agriculture."  It may be the last time I ever wear my blue jacket, and I'm going to make it a good one.  I'm going to make friends I may keep for the rest of my life, and  I'm going to be thrilled when those friends are elected, whether or not I am elected as well.

(5)  Man do I have a support group behind me!  It makes my heart fill with love when I just think about my family and my friends and the kind messages and outpourings of love and encouragement.  That's awesome!

Oh by the way, I went to Spanish Fork today to do some workshops of Agricultural Communications for an ag teacher conference there.  It was such a blessing to have one more chance to do a workshop.  I feel that I facilitated pretty well (despite my scratchy voice half-way through) and that I was able to portray my personality and myself within a professional context.  But then again, I never got any scores from 1-5, so that's just my impression. :)

In order to get to Spanish Fork, I had to get up at 5 AM...who does that?  It's gross.  I'm tired.  After I got home I was too exhausted to prove a worthy opponent in the battle of wits called Mock Round Robin Conversations, so instead I went to the mall to get adequate business casual dress for the convention.

The plan for tomorrow includes:
  1. A morning run/walk- to think. I do a lot of that these days.  (Sometimes I talk to myself, like yesterday...but only in the car.)
  2. A conference with Rayne that will include my last mock Stand and Deliver
  3. More mock Round Robin conversations
  4. Some work on Facilitation and Team Work questions
  5. The final preparations for my End of All Things notebook (or whatever I decided I was going to call it...)
  6. A facial, a color gloss, and a manicure (yay!)
  7. Deciding what business casual clothes to bring (with the help of my fashionista sisters)
  8. Packing
  9. Studying for the written test, specifically the education section.
  10. Attending the improv show...it's kinda what I do on Friday at 10:30.  Won't  you join me?
And now- let's take a break from emotional trials and anxiety that go along with National Convention being so near.  Let's step away from the laundry list of to-dos.  And check out some recent pictures!

Looking good in official dress, my first day in Minnesota


(Most of) The Minnesota Crew, L to R: Mr. Sawatzke, Chelsea, Jessie, Jessica, Wyatt, Lavyne, Me, Lucas, Katie, and Luke

I need to shine up my boots.  I really need to shine up my boots.

Check out the blue paint...where did that even come from?
I would like new boots.  But I do not need them!

That's enough for tonight.  Tomorrow will be here soon enough.
Love to all,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel you're going to do just great! It was really inspiring to see how you have decided that you are going to win no matter what, that you have so much faith in our Heavenly Father that you're going to be happy with whatever he has in store for you! I just want you to know that I love ya and am rooting for you!
    Love,
    Kadie

    ReplyDelete