Monday, September 20, 2010

Just to Catch You Up...

Man, what a whirlwind the past few weeks have been.  My mom was in town this weekend, and yesterday when I asked what the date was, she said:
"September 19.  Wow, that means you only have a month left until you run!"
Less than a month actually- yikes!  I have so much to do!  I've been researching hot topics like crazy.  I met with the beauty pageant coach, Cindy Parry, who was so helpful and kind, and I'll meet with her a few more times as well.  I've done some more work with Rayne on interview questions, and now I just need to compile all my good stories on one page.  I'm working with Jimmy on doing Hot Topic speeches!  And the Alpha Tau Alpha has asked me to give them a workshop on Civic Engagement on October 7th.

But this week I get the ultimate "where am I?" check-up, in the form of a National Officer Candidate Training Weekend!  I leave for Minnesota Thursday night, and I'll get to meet four other candidates.  Friday we'll be at the Minnesota Division of Agriculture, and Saturday we go through the whole process- or at least, most of the process.  I fully expect to come back overwhelmed and insecure, but at least I'll have a lot of really good feedback.

I'm in overdrive- I'm trying to focus on spending all my extra time studying, since I don't have a lot of time left.  I've logged 350 hours now, even though I didn't get many hours in last week due to a death in the family, which can't be helped.  But the fact is, what I need to remember, is that I've done most of the important work already.  Now I can only immerse myself in facts and hope they stick, but ultimately I'm ready.  I feel that I am the best I can be and I've worked as hard as I could- so if they like me, and if it's right, I'll be selected.

Mom gave me some great advice when I dropped her off at the airport yesterday that I want to remember.  She said:
Don't get too stressed out over this.  It doesn't really matter whether you are selected or not. If they don't choose you, that doesn't make you any less of a great person, and if they do choose you, it doesn't mean you're any better.  You're just you, no matter what happens.  

Hot Topics are calling my name- peace out!
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Your mom is so right! A nice reality check too! Talk with you soon! keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete