Saturday, February 20, 2010

Speeches


Hey,
I've decided to watch past Convention speeches as part of my study to pick up techniques and what I like and dislike about the way they present their topics.  Besides, I figure I sped way too much time watching videos on my computer and I might as well watch something I can learn from, right?

Today I watched Harvey Alston's speech from last (2009) National Convention.  I must have missed this while I was doing my Job Interview finals or something.  I thought at first that this guy must have started his career as a preacher, but I Googled him and that was not the case.  I guess he just likes yelling...:)  He sure knows how to play to his audience though.  I don't know that I can steal his style at all (I don't think I'm that intimidating when I yell...also I have to wear official dress, I can't wear an awesome tuxedo) but I really liked some of the things he said.

The thing I liked most about his speech was the way he started- and he kept this strain throughout the speech- of saying to the audience: "You're the best."
If there's one thing I've been learning from the leadership books I've been reading, it's that people respond to encouragement and praise, not to constant degradation and criticism.  Alston gets his point across by first praising his audience as doing (pretty much) everything right.  Kids want to hear that!  Most kids are trying to do the right thing, even a little bit, and they will listen much better when you acknowledge that.  Later, he talks about crap TV and how "some people" watch it, but later he even says "you know you've seen it."  Even if he never says "you," when he talks about other people doing it, people respond to it and apply it to themselves.  Heck, even I could relate to the negative things that he mentioned, but I didn't get mad about it, because he pointed out all the great things about the kids in the FFA, which includes me.

You can view the speech here: http://www.ffa.org/convention/2009/video.cfm.  Sorry, I don't know why the quality is so bad.  Keep in mind the audience Alston is speaking to- 9th-12th graders.

Speaking of speaking...spread the word to your friends that I'm looking for opportunities to polish my public speaking skills.  Girls Camps, Farm Bureau Meetings, LIONS Club meetings, FFA Banquets, 4-H events...seriously, put me to work.  Let me know if you have an idea of where I can speak this summer.  I get home the weekend of May 7th.

Have a great weekend!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment