Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Denver Stock Show

My first adventure of the year, and by far the most exciting yet, was my solo trip to the Denver Stock Show. If you've never seen a big stock show, you really need to. I was SO impressed with all the livestock there, and of course the good food, western wear vendors, rodeos, and horse and sheep shows.

Rayne was, again, the person who gave me this great idea. I tried to enlist some friends to join me, but had no luck. I considered not going, but then decided that I really needed the experience- plus I really wanted to! I know I don't have the same interests as most of my friends, or even most people in general, but that's okay with me. I'm still going to do what I enjoy.

I left for Denver on January 14, and stayed through the 18th (President's Day). It was definately an expensive trip, but it was worth it!

I got to do the following:

  • Looked at all the cool cattle, sheep and horses
  • Tried my hand as a sheep judge- and proved to be awesome at it :)
  • Watched the Charolais association auction and heard a crazy auctioneer!
  • Learned about cattle feed, sexed semen technologies, breed associations, semen distributors and animal vitamins from vendors at the stock yards.
  • Discovered a hatred for buffalo meat
  • Watched the PRCA rodeo
  • Watched a Wild West Show
  • Watched a Maine Anjou bull show
  • Watched a scary movie alone in my hotel...big mistake!
  • And last but not least, this:



Yes, that's me on top of a Brahman cow. You are jealous. I love the look of that cowboy's face. Get over it cowboy, I'm sorry you're mad that I'm 12-15 years older than most of your customers. I paid my ten bucks for this crappy picture just like everyone else. :)
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment